I don’t bake much for two reasons – 1) we don’t eat a lot of sweets and 2) I’m not so good at following directions. When I do bake it’s usually for a special occasion or when we have company over for dinner.
I love just about anything chocolate and LOVE cheesecake. This recipe combines both AND it makes just the right amount.
It tastes great warm or served at room temperature. It’s really, really good with ice cream and chocolate syrup.
Here’s the recipe:
- For the brownie mixture:
- ½ cup butter
- 4 1-ounce squares semisweet chocolate
- 2 1-ounce squares unsweetened choolate
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- For cheesecake:
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9" round cake pan or pie plate. Melt the butter and chocolate over medium heat or in the microwave, being careful not to burn the chocolate. Let cool.
- Add 2 eggs, ½ cup sugar, flour and baking soda to a medium sized bowl. Mix well. Add cooled chocolate mixture.
- In a separate smaller bowl, beat the cream cheese, egg, ¼ cup sugar and vanilla extract.
- Spoon the chocolate mixture and cream cheese mixture, alternately, in the pan. To create a swirled, or marbled effect, run a thin knife through the batter in the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not overbake. Otherwise, the brownies won't be fudgy.
- Let cool for 5 minutes (if you can!), cut into wedges and serve.