I just love pie. One of my favorite things to do is to make pie using whatever fruit is in season. That’s what inspired this Apple Pear Crumble Pie.
This pie was a hit at my annual fried chicken dinner. It was sooo easy to make. I just peeled and cored the apples and pears, tossed with a sugar/spice mixture and topped with a crumb topping.
The crumb topping is also easy to to make. Combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and cold butter.
Tip: this pie will definitely bubble over so I like to place the pie on a baking sheet.
Let the pie rest until cool or you can eat it warm. If you go for eating it warm, just know that the pie might fall apart a little bit on you. If you let it rest, this is what it will look like.
Here’s the recipe.
- 1 - 9" pie crust (store bought is fine)
- 5 apples & 2 pears - peeled, cored and sliced
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into ½" cubes
- For the crumb topping:
- 1½ cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup cold butter, cut into ½" cubes
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place pie crust in pie plate.
- In a large bowl place the peeled, cored and sliced apples and pears.
- Toss the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice with the fruit.
- Pour the fruit into the pie plate and top with the butter
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, sugars and cinnamon. Combine with a fork or whisk. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or two knives.
- Generously sprinkle on top of the pie.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for an hour to an hour and a half until the fruit is tender.
- Let rest until cool.