I love kimchi (pronounced kim chee). My favorite kimchi is made locally in Greenwich NY by Puckers Gourmet. I have been a fan of Puckers Gourmet for a few years and enjoy their sauerkraut and pickles as well.
Kimchi is a Korean mixture of fermented cabbage and vegetables. It is spicy and we usually enjoy it as a side dish with pork and fish. It has a pungent aroma and a strong flavor and we just love it.
Puckers Gourmet makes their NY Super Kimchi with Napa cabbage, bok choy, kohlrabi, daikon, garlic, ginger, chieve, Korean sea salt, Korean red pepper and water. It’s gluten, soy and dairy free.
If you haven’t tried kimchi before, here’s a recipe that’s quick, easy and a good introduction to the joys of kimchi.Kimchi Fried Rice (serves 2 as a main dish or 4 as a side dish) 1 egg canola oil 1 cup Puckers Gourmet kimchi 4-6 cups cooked white rice (leftover from Chinese takeout works great!) Thai chili oil (optional)
In a large skillet heat oil until almost smoking. Scramble the egg in the oil and remove from the pan. Add the kimchi to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes until the kimchi is tender and lightly golden brown. Add the rice, stir through until combined with the kimchi. Add the scrambled eggs. Lower the heat, cover and let the flavors hang out in the pan for another five minutes. If you want a little more heat, sprinkle on a little Thai chili oil.
Quick and easy!
I’d love to hear 1) if you like kimchi and 2) how you enjoy it.
- Puckers Gourmet, Greenwich
- Oscar’s Smoke House, Warrensburg
- The Cambridge Food Co-op, Cambridge
- Kelly’s Emerald Feeds, Kingsbury
- Pioneer Food Market/Troy Community Food Co-op, Troy
- Honest Weight Food Co-op, Albany
- Mango 29 Deli, Schuylerville
- Troy Farmers Market, Troy
- Schenectady Greenmarket, Schenectady
- Glens Falls Farmers’ Market, Glens Falls (May through November)
- Colonie Farmers’ Market at The Crossing, Colonie (June through September)
- Crossroads Country Store, Chestertown
- Healthy Living Market, Wilton
- Spa City Farmers Market, Lincoln Baths, Saratoga State Park, Saratoga