Mark and I are enjoying a few days in Naples, Florida with his mom. The summer was super busy so it’s nice to just slow down, relax and spend some time enjoying time with family.
My mother-in-law is a gracious host and lots of fun. She’s also the queen of growing orchids. Check these babies out!
The other thing she does is make a kick-ass breakfast casserole. It has all the things I like in it – sausage, mushrooms, peppers and onions. This can be made ahead of time. She usually makes it the night before or you can put everything together and bake it off right away.
She said I could share the recipe with you. So here it is.
- 1 ½ lbs. Jones Dairy Farm breakfast sausage (2 sausage rolls)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ red or yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 - 4.5 ounce jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 10 Eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 C. Milk
- 1 ½ tsp. Dry mustard
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 3 - 4 Slices of white bread, cut into ¼” cubes
- 1 ½ C. grated Cheddar cheese - reserve ½ cup for the top
- In a large skillet cook the sausage until just brown.
- Add the onion and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are soft. Drain off any excess fat. Remove from heat. Let cool.
- In a large bowl mix together the eggs, milk, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Add the sliced mushrooms, cooled sausage/onion/pepper mix, and a cup of cheddar cheese.
- Stir in bread.
- Pour into 9"x13"x2" pan. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for 1 hour. Let sit for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- This can be made the night before. Just cover and put in the refrigerator until your ready to bake.