I only have two zucchini plants in my garden and they are producing more zucchini than I can handle. We try to eat it fresh, and in as many ways possible before we start filling the freezer with it. So you can imagine that I am constantly looking for new ways to introduce zucchini into recipes – savory and sweet. Therefore this recipe for Zucchini Carrot Cupcakes was born.
NOTE: This post updated July, 2017
You can use freshly shredded zucchini or you can shred and freeze. If you do decide to freeze your zucchini, I strongly suggest using a food processor. Shred it, then measure out one or two cups, label and place in a freezer bag. Then it will be ready for breads, cakes, cookies, fritters or whatever else suits your fancy.
When I first came up with this recipe I was looking for ways to incorporate zucchini into the menu while it was fresh. The other challenge was finding ways to feed the zucchini to our son Justin who was 14 at the time and would pretty much eat anything that wasn’t nailed down. He drew the line at zucchini.
That all changed when I made these cupcakes. Between Justin and his friends, the cupcakes were gone in two days. My husband didn’t even get one. Now that we have grandkids, these are a seasonal staple that they love too.
You may want to double this recipe. I’m telling you, these will not last!
- Zucchini-Carrot Cupcakes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon each - baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon
- 1¼ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup zucchini, grated and drained
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Mix eggs, sugar and oil until combined.
- Stir together dry ingredients and then add to the eggs, sugar and oil. Once all are combined, stir in the zucchini and carrot.
- Fill cupcakes about ⅔ and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- If wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, they're ready.
- Let cool, then frost them.
- To make frosting - Mix cheese, butter and vanilla - then add sugar in a little at a time.